We went to Lala Rokh (Persian) in Beacon Hill for the first time the other night with a couple friends. The food was generally good, but they had a pretty big private party, so the kitchen was quite slow. We started with an eggplant and tomato appetizer, which also had some yellow peas or lentils, yogurt, and crispy caramelized shallot. I love eggplant, and really liked this starter. For entrees we had duck leg with a walnut pomegranate sauce (very interesting, tangy, sweet and rich, and the duck was very moist) and lamb with spinach and spices (good, but not as good as the duck).
While I enjoyed the food and company, and I'm certainly glad we tried it, I didn't think it was the best value. Entrees were $20-25, appetizers around $8-10. Not expensive, but I feel like we can get much better food for those prices. For example, I'd go to Tamarind Bay every time given the choice (not that Persian food is the same as Indian, but comparing quality, service, and presentation). It also reminds me how impressive it is when restaurants can produce really great food and service without charging a ton.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment