Last night (Sunday), we went to Uni on the spur of the moment. There were actually seats at the sushi bar, so we sat there and ordered a sushi tasting menu. It was really, really good, and I wish I brought my camera because the presentations were gorgeousssssss ;-)
Started with the typical tomato water martini...so yummy.
Needlefish, watermelon radish, shiso vinaigrette
Rudderfish, red onion, garlic ponzu, pea tendril
Penshell, mango lassi, aji pepper, red shiso: served in a giant shell...the penshell is like a huge, very firm scallop.
Hobu (sea robbin?), spiced orange, blood orange slices, blood orange foam, jalepeno salt
Sea bream, toasted rice foam, japanese plum, onion sesame vinaigrette
Horse mackerel, sea grapes (like tiny bundles of caviar!), aji pepper, rhubarb: nice and fishy/meaty
Pink sea bream, japanese artichoke, red shiso/miso vinaigrette: one of my favorites
Uni, ginger shoots, purple rice flake, and yuzu: I requested this because I was craving uni...mmmmmmm
Bluefin o-toro, pickled mustard seeds, miso mignonette, caviar: this was ridiculously rich and good
Tuna tataki, seared foie gras, cilantro puree, aji dressing, pear & elderberry puree, pickled radish: two cubes of barely seared tuna topped with perfectly seared foie gras...WOW
Pineapple jasmine cloud, black sesame, raspberry coulis, green apple wasabi sorbet, kaffir lime cream and toasted rice: This dessert was awesome...so light, lots of flavors, but they all went together. The "cloud" was so tasty and had great texture.
Milk chocolate geode, hazelnut praline & sorbet, violet coulis, cassis meringue (eggless): the "geode" was made using a balloon and liquid nitrogen, and the hazelnut had a nice saltiness.
While the sushi was great and creative, I thought the desserts were really outstanding. We had a couple nice selections of sake too. Sunday night seems like a good time to go, since the sushi bar wasn't too crowded.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment