Saturday, August 2, 2008

Duck duck...

The last few weeks I've been reading Jeffery Steingarten's "It Must've Been Something I Ate" on the train into work, and it makes me hungry! His essays frequently mention ducks and geese, so I've decided we need to eat more duck (goose is hard to find and much more expensive).
We bought a whole duck the other day ($2.99 a pound at Whole Foods, not too bad). We pan roasted the breast with some five-spice powder, and served it with Chinese chives, five-spice tofu, and hot peppers:


We had a bucket of duck fat in the freezer, and made confit with the legs and wings. For future reference, when you decide to crisp up the skin on duck confit, please use a non-stick pan. This hot mess is the result of all the skin sticking to the pan:

It was super tasty, and we served it on top of cabbage sauteed with onion, coriander seed, mustard seed, and finished with apple cider vinegar.

No comments: